The Women’s College Hospital institute for Health System Solutions and Virtual Care (WIHV) is currently accepting applicants for a one year post-doctoral fellowship.
WIHV is a real world solutions engine dedicated to solving the current and future problems of our healthcare system. Uniquely situated at Women’s College Hospital (WCH) – the hospital designed to keep people out of hospital – WIHV is identifying the groundbreaking approaches that address gaps in the system. Where public policy meets practice, WIHV finds new ways of transforming the way that patients experience their care, support better long-term health outcomes and lower the cost of managing chronic illness in the system.
Our mandate is to design, implement and evaluate new models of care and new policy approaches. Ultimately, we seek to positively impact patient care outside the walls of our hospital, across Ontario and beyond. Our interventions generally target patients with complex needs who are better served outside the wards of inpatient hospitals or emergency departments. To that end, we work to leverage everyday technology to improve care for those who need it most – not just those who are easiest to reach. And we conduct this work collaboratively with an exciting group of experts from a wide range of disciplines and specialties.
The post-doctoral Fellow will be engaged in policy-oriented evaluations of health system solutions. The following are examples of existing large-scale projects to which a Fellow will have ample opportunity to contribute:
Virtual Care Evaluation: WIHV currently acts as an independent evaluator for digital health tools with an aim to contribute to the evidence base on the effectiveness of virtual care for the management of the highest users of our healthcare system. These evaluations range from usability testing and benefits evaluations to large-scale clinical trials.
Innovation in Models of Care: WIHV researchers are engaged in a series of projects related to achieving community based models of integrated care, with the ultimate goal of enabling broader health systems innovation. Potential disciplinary training most appropriate for this work includes health care management and health care policy.
Qualifications and Experience:
We are seeking a talented individual with ambitions to advance their career by capitalizing on involvement in a range of multi-disciplinary, collaborative health system improvement projects.
- PhD degree required
- Strength in quantitative or mixed-methods research evaluation required
- Experience with applied health services research
- Advanced writing and communication skills
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Interest in working with health system decision makers
- Flexible, creative thinker
- A team player
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to gain experience and expand their professional network through collaboration with investigators from a range of disciplines. Opportunities for professional development include publications, presentations at scientific conferences, involvement in grant writing, participation in methodological design of evaluation projects, exposure to new methodological approaches, leadership and networking, and interaction with health system stakeholders. Fellows will develop skills in:
- Understanding and comparing health systems and the policy making process
- Knowledge translation, communication and brokerage
- Pragmatic trials and process evaluation of health services interventions
- Development of effective interventions to change behaviors of patients and health professionals
- Development or evaluation of patient-centred virtual care interventions
- Writing program reviews and academic papers for publication
This position is available on a 1 year contract with possibility of renewal of an additional year. Candidates should consider applying for sources of funding.
- Provide a cover letter summarizing your research interests, career plans, future research goals, and when you would be available to begin a post-doctoral Fellowship;
- Current CV;
- Names and e-mails of two references (current/former supervisors)
- Send via email to Ibukun.Abejirinde@wchospital.ca with ‘Postdoctoral Fellow Application’ in the subject line.