The Women’s College Hospital Institute for Health System Solutions and Virtual Care (WIHV) is currently accepting applicants for an exciting one year post-doctoral fellowship.
WIHV is a real world solutions engine dedicated to solving the current and future problems of our healthcare system. Uniquely situated at Women’s College Hospital (WCH) – the hospital designed to keep people out of hospital – WIHV is identifying the groundbreaking approaches that address gaps in the system. Where public policy meets practice, WIHV finds new ways of transforming the way that patients experience their care, support better long-term health outcomes and lower the cost of managing chronic illness in the system.
Our mandate is to design, implement and evaluate new models of care and new policy approaches. Ultimately, we seek to positively impact patient care outside the walls of our hospital, across Ontario and beyond. Our interventions generally target patients with complex needs who are better served outside the wards of inpatient hospitals or emergency departments. To that end, we work to leverage everyday technology to improve care for those who need it most – not just those who are easiest to reach. And we conduct this work collaboratively with an exciting group of experts from a wide range of disciplines and specialties.
The post-doctoral Fellow will be engaged in policy-oriented evaluations of health system solutions in the area of Virtual Care Evaluation. This position will work with a multidisciplinary team on evaluations for the Centre for Digital Health Evaluation (CDHE) and Canadian Network for Digital Health Evaluation (CNDHE), both hosted at WIHV. WIHV currently acts as an independent evaluator for digital health tools with an aim to contribute to the evidence base on the effectiveness of virtual care for the management of the highest users of our healthcare system. These evaluations range from usability testing and benefits evaluations to large-scale clinical trials.
Qualifications and Experience:
We are seeking a talented individual with ambitions to advance their career by capitalizing on involvement in a range of multi-disciplinary, collaborative health system improvement projects.
- PhD degree required
- Experience with applied health services research required
- Experience conducting qualitative interviews with a variety of participants, including health care providers, health care leaders, and care recipients
- Experience with qualitative data analysis strategies, including various types of thematic analyses, qualitative description, and/or the framework method
- Familiarity with qualitative data organization/management systems, such as NVIVO
- Strong understanding of Ontario healthcare system
- Ability to manage complex projects, including stakeholder management
- Flexible, creative thinker
- A team player
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to gain experience and expand their professional network through collaboration with investigators from a range of disciplines. Opportunities for professional development include publications, presentations at scientific conferences, involvement in grant writing, participation in methodological design of evaluation projects, exposure to new methodological approaches, leadership and networking, and interaction with health system stakeholders. Fellows will be expected to:
- Oversee multiple evaluation projects of digital health tools that aim to improve health system efficiency and patient outcomes
- Lead qualitative data collection, analysis, and reporting
- Knowledge translation, communication and brokerage
- Develop effective interventions to change behaviors of patients and health professionals
- Develop effective, patient-centred virtual care interventions to improve quality of care while reducing or holding steady the per capita cost of care
- Write program reviews and academic papers for publication
The Fellow will be supervised by at least one of WIHV’s senior scientists and will have the opportunity to work with other senior leaders within the institute, hospital and across the health care system.
This position is available on a 1 year contract with possibility of renewal of an additional year. Candidates should consider applying for sources of funding.
- Provide a cover letter summarizing your research interests, career plans, future research goals, and when you would be available to begin a post-doctoral Fellowship;
- Current CV;
- Names and e-mails of two references (current/former supervisors)
- Send the above via email by Tuesday, August 31th at 5:00 p.m. to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Postdoctoral Fellow Application’ in the subject line.